Smart effluent water management system
A system to check water quality and prescribe proper chemical dosage to water in water treatment plants in mines, to ensure quality of water to operational and compliance regulations and in turn effectively use water resources and reduce operational costs
The mining industry uses water resources intensively for their extraction process of metals from minerals, treatment of wastewater is a significant step in reducing pollutants and in promotingÂ theÂ quality of the water ecosystem. The nature ofÂ theÂ natural settings,Â influentÂ shock and wastewater treatment technologies contribute to confusion and variability in the treatment system.Â Such uncertainties contribute to variations in the quality and operational costs of effluent water, as well as the ecological risk ofÂ the recipientÂ waters. Improper dosing results in excessive chemical costs and premature wear of the equipment. Missteps in water management not only increase a mineâ€™s power and operational costs, but they can do irreparable harm to a mining companyâ€™s reputation. In some situations leading mines to incur regulatory wrath, resulting in closure and disruption to production and the global supply chain. Water management in mining is ensuring that operational and regulatory compliance limits are met in water and wastewater treatment at mining sites. Hence a system which can optimise the chemical dosing of water, ensure water quality is within compliance limits, reduce energy and water usage is required.
Profile of the End-User
Water Quality Check Manager
Functional Requirements of the End-User
- Check water quality to operational and compliance regulations in water treatment plants
- Chemical dosage computation from various parameters of wastewater
Functional & Operational Capabilities
- Classify and measure the type and quantity of chemicals present in the waste water
- Prescribe suitable chemical dosage and treatment method based on contents of the water
- Raise alarms in case water quality is not in limits of compliance and operational regulations.
- Show water treatment data in a visualisable format.
- Setting of correct parameters to check water quality
- Operation under harsh environment (chemicals, temperature, pressure)
Expected Tangible Benefits and Measurable Gains
- Reduction of Water consumption.
- companies achieve growth and sustainability goals
- Real time decision making on chemical dosage set point adjustments.
- Reduction in operational expenditure
Performance Metrics or Outcomes
- Reduction in usage of fresh water
- Reduction in effluent content in treated water
- Reduction in opex of water management in mines